We know we’re supposed to wear sunscreen to protect our faces. But when it comes down to it, it can be a nuisance! You’ve spent time putting your makeup on and you don’t want to mess it up with having to reapply sunscreen. So here are some tips on how to apply and reapply sunscreen with makeup so you look great and are protected all day!
Do You Need to Apply Sunscreen Even If You’re Wearing Makeup with SPF?
If your makeup already has SPF, do you still need to wear sunscreen? Yes. Here’s the thing…in order for SPF to be effective, it must be reapplied every few hours.
Do you want to reapply your makeup every few hours in order to still have sun protection all day? It’s a pain. So let me show you how to apply and reapply sunscreen with makeup…
- Do You Need to Apply Sunscreen Even If You’re Wearing Makeup with SPF? If you want continual sun protection, yes you do need to reapply sunscreen over your makeup.
- How do you Apply and Reapply Sunscreen with Makeup? You can either apply sunscreen first and then apply your makeup or you can apply your makeup and use a sunscreen spray or sunscreen powder when wearing makeup.
- How do you Apply Sunscreen Over Foundation? After you have applied your makeup, use either a sunscreen spray or sunscreen powder over your makeup to protect your skin.
- What’s the Best Sunscreen to Reapply Over Makeup? The best sunscreen to reapply over makeup is a sunscreen spray or sunscreen powder.
- Can You Put Makeup Over Sunscreen? Yes! After you cleanse your face, apply a small amount of sunscreen specifically made for your face. Wait 5-10 minutes for the sunscreen to absorb into your skin and then apply your makeup.
How to Apply and Reapply Sunscreen with Makeup
First off, not all sunscreens are created equal. You definitely don’t want to be applying sunscreen that is formulated for the body on your face. It will be greasy and thick. You need a sunscreen that is specifically for your face. Here are some of my favorite sunscreens that work really well with makeup:
How to Apply Sunscreen Under Your Makeup
After you have cleansed your face for the day, apply a small amount of sunscreen to your face. You don’t need a lot to get coverage. Before you apply your makeup, let your sunscreen absorb into your skin for 5-10 minutes. This will help your makeup apply and stay better.
How to Apply Sunscreen Over Foundation
Now, what do you do once your makeup has been on and you need to reapply sunscreen?? Supergoop has two great options for you! Sunscreen spray or sunscreen powder are perfect for reapplying sunscreen after you have your makeup on.
How to Use Supergoop (Re)setting Refreshing Mist
If you want to opt for the spray, this is how to reapply sunscreen over your makeup:
- Shake the bottle well to make sure the liquid is mixed up.
- Position the bottle 8-10 inches from your face.
- Close your eyes and tuck in your lips.
- Spray your face in a circular motion.
- Let your face air dry.
- Reapply every 2 hours.
How to Use Supergoop (Re)setting Mineral Powder
If you want a more matte finish or have oily skin, the mineral powder option is best for you. This is how to reapply mineral powder sunscreen over your makeup:
- Twist the bottle to OPEN.
- Close your eyes and tuck in your lips.
- Brush the powder evenly on your face.
- Reapply as needed.
Best Makeup to Use with Sunscreen
What makeup should you use with sunscreen? It’s really a matter of preference. You may prefer a liquid, powder, or cream foundation. I personally prefer cream makeup because it gives you great coverage, is easy to apply, and looks very natural.
If you need help knowing what makeup colors will look best on you, I am a color matching expert and would be happy to help! Simply fill out this quick makeup survey to get started on your FREE makeup color match.
Best Sunscreen to Reapply Over Makeup
The best sunscreen to reapply over makeup is hands down Supergoop Re(setting) Refreshing Mist or Re(setting) Mineral Powder. It allows you to apply your makeup in the morning and then reapply sunscreen over your makeup throughout the day without messing it up. It’s so convenient!!
Can You Put Makeup Over Sunscreen?
Yes! Cleanse your face, apply sunscreen specifically made for your face, wait 5-10 minutes, and then apply makeup over sunscreen. But your sunscreen is only effective for a few hours, so it’s important to reapply sunscreen throughout the day if you want to continue to have sun protection.
Hopefully these tips help you look beautiful all day long and keep your skin protected at the same time!
Here are other blogposts you might enjoy:
About the Author
JoEllen is a licensed aesthetician, makeup mentor, and certified John Maxwell coach, speaker, and trainer. She has been working with women for 18 years helping them look and feel confident. She loves teaching women simple beauty techniques so they can feel empowered to try it at home. She believes that when you look and feel good, you do good!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase an item featured in this post, I get a small portion from the sale. Thank you! It does not affect you at all.