As a more mature woman, you may be wondering what’s the best makeup routine for older women? As a certified makeup artist and licensed aesthetician, I’ll teach you the best makeup for older women so you look your best!
Best Makeup for Older Women
There are so many different makeup products on the market! But which ones are best for your age?? Powders can settle in your fine lines and wrinkles which ends up accentuating them. Liquids can appear heavy and cakey and make you look older. The best makeup for older women is cream makeup!!
Cream makeup will be your best friend! Cream makeup can provide a sheer coverage, medium coverage, or full coverage, giving you the flexibility to cover what you want without hiding the things you love. Liquid and powder makeups tend to set, creating a dull and lifeless appearance. Creams act as a second skin. Their silky application and flexible wear create a buttery velvet finish!
What’s the best cream makeup? Seint makeup is by far the best! Seint cream foundation is also known as iiid foundation. It’s a cream makeup that comes in different shades: highlight (foundation), contour, blush, and illuminator. The cream makeup is applied on your face in one layer, giving your face shape and dimension without the heavy makeup appearance. It’s similar to a paint by numbers makeup routine. Learn all about cream iiid foundation!
Is Seint makeup worth it? Read this honest customer review!
Best Makeup Routine for Older Women
When done the right way, makeup can help you look younger! But when done the wrong way, makeup can make you look older! When you wear the wrong products and colors, it can really age you! And we definitely don’t want that!
Here’s the best routine for older women for your face:
- Highlight– This is your foundation. Invest in at least 2 shades (one as your main shade and one as your brightening shade for under your eyes and one as a color corrector) If you need help knowing what foundation and other makeup products will look best on you, make sure to fill out my makeup survey for personalized help!
- Contour– Girl, if you’re not contouring, you need to start! It will make you look 10 years younger instantly!
- Bronzer– Add a sun-kissed glow to your face with a cream bronzer. Not sure the difference between contour and bronzer? You’re not alone… Not sure which bronzer shade to choose? Follow this bronzer guide.
- Blush– Blush will add a beautiful flush to your face! Check out the lip + cheek swatches to find your favorite colors!
- Illuminator– Get a pretty glow by applying illuminator just above your cheekbones, under your brows, on the inner corner of your eyes, and on the bow of your lip. You’re welcome 😉
When it comes to your eyes, think less is more. Most older women have loose skin and wrinkles and adding too much product can enhance those features. Can older women wear shimmer eyeshadows?? Yes! However, I would stay away from glitter unless it’s for a costume or special event. I would also stay away from too bold of colors like bright blues, greens, and turquoises.
Best Lipstick for Older Women
When it comes to the best makeup for older women and her lips, you want a long lasting lipstick! Our lips thin as we age and lipstick can come off easily. Lipstick is a great way to look polished and put together and it’s nice when it can last all day!
Hands down, the best long lasting lipstick is LipSense! If you haven’t heard of it yet, now is your chance! LipSense is a lipgloss that is designed to be worn and last all day. You apply a LipSense color in 3 light layers and then top it with a LipSense gloss. You may have to reapply your gloss a few times during the day if you want a moisturized look and feel, but you will not have to reapply your color. It will last through talking, eating, drinking, and laughing!
Tips for Applying Cream Makeup
Cream makeup is a great option for older women. There are a few tricks to help you apply it so you look great. Here are some tips on applying cream makeup to get the best results:
- Start with a good skincare routine- If you want a flawless makeup finish, then you must start with a good skincare routine! Cleanse, tone, and moisturize daily.
- Let your moisturizer or sunscreen soak in- With cream makeup, it’s important that any product you put on your face before your makeup is completely absorbed into your skin. This includes moisturizer, sunscreen, or primer. Allow 3-5 minutes to soak in before applying your makeup.
- Avoid products with silica or silicone- These ingredients will work against cream makeup and we don’t want that! Avoid those ingredients so your cream makeup applies and blends its best.
- Shave your face- I know, I know…that sounds weird. But trust me! Everyone has peach fuzz on their face and that peach fuzz can get in the way of a flawless finish. Use a facial razor to shave off that peach fuzz and your cream makeup will apply so much better!
- A good brush is key- You can’t use just any brush. You must use a brush that is made to work with cream makeup. It matters. These makeup brushes are best! You can get a light, medium, or full coverage look depending on the brush you use.
- Let the makeup warm up on your face- Cream makeup will blend better when it’s a little warmer. Apply the product on your face and then let it sit to warm up. Then use a brush to blend. It works like a charm!
- Use a blowdryer- In the colder months, cream can get a little harder and more solid. Take a blow dryer and lightly blow a few inches above the makeup for a few seconds to heat up the product. This will allow the makeup to go on nice and smooth!
- Use a damp makeup sponge to blend- This is a game changer! It helps pat and press the makeup into your skin, giving you an even more flawless finish!
- Set with powder- If you tend to have normal to oily skin, consider setting your makeup with powder. Just a light layer will help combat shine and help your makeup last all day.
- Use a setting spray- Set your makeup with a setting spray. This is like hair spray for your face! It will help your makeup stay in place all day. Read more about the best setting sprays with cream makeup.
Best Skincare Routine for Older Women
If you want a great makeup application, you must have a great skincare routine! Just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you can be lazy with your skincare. Here are the 3 best skincare routines for mature skin.
Just because you are aging doesn’t mean you have to look old! Hopefully learning about the best makeup for older women and some other tips can help you have the confidence to look and feel amazing!
Here are some other blog posts you might enjoy:
About the Author
JoEllen is a licensed aesthetician, certified makeup artist, and certified John Maxwell coach, speaker, and trainer. She works with women helping them look and feel confident. She loves teaching women simple beauty techniques so they can feel empowered to try it at home. Her motto is that when you look and feel good, you do good!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase an item featured in this post, I get a small portion from the sale. Thank you! It does not affect you at all.